Friday 6 April 2012

sometimes recycling isn't healthy

I've just moved house. I'm really excited about this-its the first time in 3 years that I'm not lodging. Don't get me wrong-lodging was fantastic and a real gift from God at the time but it wasn't somewhere to call 'mine'-the houses belonged to others but in my new place, although shared and rented its still mine-I can decorate it how I want, my land lord doesn't live with me. This has brought so much freedom and allowed me to stir up giftings such as hospitality...its brilliant. However - this has presented a challenge as I don't have my own furniture but you what I have come to LOVE-2nd hand shops...they are AMAZING. When you look, you get good quality things (they must be, as they have lasted well) for a fantastic cost and often have much more character than some cheaper flat pack Scandinavian furniture store product (by the way...I do LOVE that store).I do like 2nd hand living, recycling is good. During this moving and furniture getting process I have discovered something about myself-whether its a God revelation or whether its me thinking through circumstances and applying where I see fit...I realise, in my life, I've been living 2nd hand before. I've been living 2nd hand in my life with God. I will forever be thankful for my upbringing, for being taught from a young age that Jesus is King and He is Lord. This has, I discovered, compounded with my laziness, has meant that I have lived from 2nd hand revelation...rather than reading the Word of God for myself, I have simply taken in sermons, quotation of Bible verses and teaching that others have given rather than looking into myself, if you like, living off others revelation rather than my own-living 2nd hand. But you may say, 'Hannah, I don't do that-I've made my own descion to follow Christ-not just follow my parents faith.' That's good, me too- I've always been and have taught that you can't live off your parents faith, that it is a personal decision and YOU have to make the decision as an individual which is right but how often, especially if we have 'grown up in church', do we just accept a teaching or a particular argument for something because its from a denomination we trust or someone we like has said it? How often do we look in the Word or spend time praying after a sermon and ask God what HE says about it? I've realised there are things that I have argued passionately about in my life and discovered that actually-I only believed it because it was something I had always been told, not something I had come to believe myself. This isn't what Christ called us into. He called us to be in relationship with Him. Not just 'everyone, each one of us, individually. Unless we have the revelation and hear from Christ himself from His word we live on very dangerous ground-remember the parable of the house built on the rock and sand (Matt 7:24-2) if we have not discovered the revelation for ourselves, it will not be a rock in our lives, it'll will just be a knowledge in our heads rather a conviction of our hearts and THAT is when it is built on sand. A real relationship, a true relationship isn't just knowledge 'about' that person.I mean-I can tell you all about David Tennant or Benedict Cumberbacth but I am not in a relationship 'with' them (except in my imagination *cough* anyway moving on...) there is no connection of the heart. Jesus calls us to be in relationship WITH Him not just know ABOUT. I confess so much of my life I have lived 2nd hand, from recycled teaching and ideas from others... Lord let me live with the genuine original life and relationship with you. Sometimes recycling is not good for the planet for you, sometimes its not healthy...

No comments: