Friday 6 April 2012

It's only words...

I am good at talking. This is something I realised a while ago. I'm sure many of you will have realised, but something I've discovered is that I do rather more of it then I ever used to...I was once given the compliment that was also given to my Dad-at the time I didn't realise how much of a compliment it was, it was a long the lines of 'you don't say much but what you do say is full of wisdom and always worth listening to.' 
Over the years as the masks I've wore have swapped and changed, my speech have become loosened and I realise now I talk, maybe rather too much and because of this, find myself locked into situations which I can not get out of, situations which maybe even God does not want me in.Then I find myself trapped as I want to be a woman of my word-('But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ Matt 5:34-37).I have got into the habit of reading Proverbs and there's a lot written about speech, words and in the Bible as a whole - not just about 'perverse words' or 'curse language' but about the frequency of speech...


The prudent keep their knowledge to themselves,  but a fool’s heart blurts out folly. Proverbs 12:23


Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues.Proverbs 10:19


The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.Proverbs 15:2


Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues. Proverbs 17:28


Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. Proverbs 21:23


A dream comes when there are many cares, and many words mark the speech of a fool. Eccelesiaties 5:3


It would seem that, according to the Bible, it is a good thing to hold your tongue and there is much greater wisdom, if only in appearance, of restricting your words. Yet I've believed the lie for so long that if you know something you should share it...but is that just so I can gain the approval of those around me? so I can be popular rather than letting them love me for what God shines through? Or just because I like talking?
I've heard it said in christian circles/teaching that we stop talking in order to be able to listen to people-this is true, but what if we should stop talking just to stop talking-because there is no need to speak?
In James (and in proverbs I have discovered) it says that life and death is in the power of the tongue (James 3:6) This instrument of communication that God has given is an AMAZING gift and we are called to use it to proclaim Gods goodness 'how will they know unless they have heard?(can't find reference-see next blog...)' But like any tools that God has given us we need to learn to manage it well.


Lord, I repent for becoming, with my masks and seeking of people's praise, too quick to speak. Teach me how and when to speak and not speak and as David cried out, 'Save me, LORD, from lying lips and from deceitful tongues.'(Psalm 120:2)...including when those lips and tongues are my own...


I pray that I become a woman of God known as much for what I don't say as for what I do...

No comments: