Wednesday 25 May 2011

Nearly setting off again-just a thought on encouragement...

As the title says-we're not setting off yet back to the Beatitudes but I just wanted to give a little thought on encouragement.
On Sunday I ran in the Edinburgh Marathon festival as part of a relay team to raise money for CAP (you can still sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/Hannah-Pamplin0 ). Whilst I was running the shortest leg-4.7 miles this was a massive undertaking for me as I developed a dislike for running at school...Anyway...I was staying with Flick and Drumm (my best friend from University and her husband) and meet up with my fellow relay team mates at various points. Something really struck me during the weekend that I wanted to share with you all.
As I ran my leg of the relay I ran with a lady called Lisa who was lovely. I don't normally run with anyone but it was great to have someone there. Being on the final leg it also meant that there was a lot of crowds along the way. This leg was hard, there was a lot of strong winds that were blowing right into your face which meant you had to run twice as hard to go the same distance...I'm not ashamed to tell you-it was tough. But when I saw the finish line-I just went for it. When I came to the end I had managed to do my leg in 45 minutes, in training I had run it in an hour. I was so so happy and we had photos with the rest of the team and we were to celebrate how much we had raised.
But what did I learn through this - as I walked through the chaotic crowds at the end the scripture came to mind
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, Hebrews 12:1


We are surrounded by a group of people who have gone before us , who have run the race and now they are cheering us on...to keep going. I know that I only ran the time I did because I had the people around me spurring me on. Yes, I had to put in the training and we need to put in time in the 'quiet place' to be with God as HE is the ultimate in encourager but He calls us to encourage others...it is one of the gifts that he gives us.
We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[b] do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. Romans 12:6-8
Whilst it may be that some are more gifted than others at encouragement I do firmly believe that these are ALL things we are called to do by God even when it is not our gifting. You have no idea what a different your encouragement is making.

As I was running there was a lady called Fiona running near me-the reason I know this is because when people who cheering they would shout things like, 'come on fiona' and I thought Wow-I wish I had my name on my shirt-to receive that personal encouragement. I stayed with my best friend university as I said and to be able to spend the weekend with them was great. Drummond ran the whole marathon (which he managed to do in 32 mins better than his PB-AMAZING) but he was so encouraging to me about how I had run-I couldn't believe it, I ran like a 5th of what he had done yet he encouraged me and through that and the texts and money that people sponsored putting faith in me - I'm contemplating doing a 10k run later this year. Whilst encouragement is amazing when we read the letters Paul and others wrote, they often spoke of the personal encouragement the recipients gave like in Philemon 1:7
Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people.


I realised again on Sunday how important encouragement is...let's not hold back. An inspirational friend of mine called Anne Young once put on her status update..."To encourage means "to add courage to" When we encourage someone, we add strength to them so that they can face the challenges they are coming up against. I'm ready to add courage to those who need it" That's what it is all about...

No comments: